Early Years Foundation Stage
Before your child is due to start, please visit us so that you can take a preliminary look at the school.
In the summer term, before they start, new entrants are invited into the school to experience taster sessions in class. Where possible our EYFS class teacher visits pre-school settings to meet the children or makes home visits.
At Curry Mallet, EYFS aims to make the transition into school as smooth and quick as possible. Normally the children come in full-time from the very first day but if you do not feel your child is ready for this it may be necessary to begin with part-time attendance, especially for those children who are still under five years old and for whom a full day is too long.
It is a great help, particularly to the children’s confidence, if by the time they start school they are able to:
- Go to the toilet without assistance
- Dress and undress themselves (with a little help if necessary)
- Understand simple verbal instructions
All children are encouraged to bring a healthy snack into school.
The PTFA will provide a new book bag for each child which will be given out before the summer break. On the first day of school, it would be useful for you to bring your child into school and for them to have:
- PE kit in a bag with spare underwear in case of accidents
- A small flask or sports bottle full of water to drink in class time
- A waterproof coat for unexpected damp weather